Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Top 13 Performance Show: Final Thoughts

First, the live issue…

So while watching the show, I e-mailed one of the Idol PR people, to ask about why the show is still not live. She reminded me that the show has been taped at this stage before, “although it’s rare.” Then she referred me to a very interesting set of tweets from Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe…

Apparently, there was some discussion that the show was on tape so Nigel could manipulate things, and this was his response:

“We are pre-taping for 2 weeks as we have a new Director & new judges. It has nothing to do with manipulation you morons.”

His morons comment got the tweeters a little fired up, to which he responded: “I love you all getting riled up. The Tweet was directed at the MORONS who said we are pre-taping to manipulate the show. Not the TRUE fans!”

Later, Nigel went along with the joke by tweeting, “Sorry I can't play anymore I have to go to work. There's manipulating to be done. Xox”

Sunday, Nigel tweeted this, which might also be telling as to why they haven’t gone live yet: “It's been a tough day trying to get the sound right. With a mix of live band, Jimmy Iovine's amazing producer's tracks and live vocals.”

In fact, during the show tonight, Nigel actually tweeted asking how the audio was on everyone’s TVs. I thought it was definitely better tonight, so if it takes some taped episodes to get it straight, I’m okay with that.

But I still can’t help but wonder if a fear of what Steven will say doesn’t have a little something to do with it…

Now to tonight’s performances. I thought overall they were good and America has a fairly difficult choice. So, who’s going home?

If there is a bottom three, I say it will be Ashthon, Karen and Naima. Ashthon and Karen gave weak performances and I don’t think the audience will respond to what Naima did with “Umbrella.” I think Paul gave a weaker performance than Ashthon, but I think he’s popular enough to hang on. As for who’s going home, it will come down to Ashthon and Naima, but my gut says Ashthon.

Before I ask you what you think, I wanted to give some credit to Jimmy’s team of producers. I thought the arrangements tonight were some of the best I’ve heard on the show…

Now, what do you guys think? Who did you like and who do you think is going home? Feel free to post a comment here, or on Facebook or give me a tweet.

We are rockin’ and rollin’ now, gang!

Post Title Top 13 Performance Show: Final Thoughts